Studio Album - March 1979
Roxy Music announced to the music press in November 1978 that they are to work together for the first time in 3 years.
The resulting album 'Manifesto' released on 16th March 1979 has an East Side and West side instead of the traditional side one and two. The sleeve credits only seven musicians, but over the years information on the sessions suggests that several other musicians played on the album. Drummer Paul Thompson didn't play drums on all the tracks with some drum/percussion duties taken up by Steve Ferrone & Rick Marrota and Richard Tee played piano on some songs. Luther Vandross did some backing vocals although this was not credited on the sleeve.
The original pressing had a rock version of Angel Eyes with an additonal fourth verse and Dance Away had a ballad version. These were both found on the picture disc pressing and also on CD3 on The Thrill Of It All box set. The re-master version in the carboard mini LP sleeve contained the rock version of Angel Eyes and the single version of Dance Away. The Jewel case re-master had the single versions of both Angel Eyes and Dance Away. Manifesto was also re-recorded and used as a b-side a year later on Over You and Trash had a slower version titled Trash 2 as the B-side to the Trash single which peaked at number 40 in the UK charts. Dance Away and Angel Eyes reached numbers 2 & 4 in the UK singles chart respectively and the album peaked at number 7 in the UK album charts
Week by week album chart positon
(34 weeks total)
Album Track Listing
- Angel Eyes
- Still Falls The Rain
- Stronger Through The Years
- Ain't That So
- My Little Girl
- Dance Away
- Cry Cry Cry
- Spin Me Round
Other Tracks of Interest
- Angel Eyes (Rock Version) This recording was on the original pressings and on the picture disc.
- Angel Eyes (Extended Re-mix) This was the first extended mix of a Roxy Music song and released on the new format of the 12" single
- Trash 2 This version recorded in a lower key and at a slower pace was used as the b-side to the 'Trash' single.
- Dance Away (Ballad Version) This version was used on the original pressings of the album and on the picture disc. The more familiar single version was on all pressings after the release of the single in April 1979.
- Dance Away (Extended Remix) An extended version of dance Away was released in Canada.
- Manifesto (remake) This re-recorded version of Manifesto was used as the b-side to the'Over You' single.
Album Musicians & Credits
- Bryan Ferry Vocals and keyboards
- Andy Mackay Sax and oboe.
- Phil Manzanera Guitars
- Paul Thompson Drums
- Paul Carrack Piano and keyboards.
- Alan Spenner Bass
- Gary Tibbs Bass
- Richard Tee Keyboards on Dance Away (Not credited on the sleeve)
- Steve Ferrone Drums (Not credited on the sleeve)
- Rick Marotta Drums (Not credited on the sleeve)
- Fiona Hibbert Harp on Angel Eyes (Not credited on the sleeve)
- Luther Vandross Backing vocals on Dance Away (Not credited on the sleeve)
- Sally Feldman Make Up artist on the sleeve.
- Jenny McLean Special Merit
- Rhett Davies Engineer
- Jimmy Douglas Engineer
- Phil Brown Engineer
- Antony Price Cover
- Neil Kirk Cover
- Cream Cover